Sunday, September 30, 2012

Art work and the creative process...in my mind

Chinatown Spring In this piece I created a black and white print in the darkroom, and colored it with food coloring. I was introduced to alternative processing through my advisor and I have been stuck ever since. What I really like about alternative process photography is that it takes the art of photography and printmaking out of its element. It allows the photographer to experiment in painting, sculpting, performance art, etc. It pushes the photographer to think outside of the comfort zone of capturing the perfect light, the right angle, and the exact moment that will make or break the photo.
Black Rock This photo was actually taken 5 years ago over summer vacation. Black Rock is a local hide away that my friends and I would frequent to cool down. I took a chance with my digital camera and captured a serene moment; my friend sitting on a floating log taking in the water and it drifts by. Now a days it seems like everyone is a photographer, hobbyist or professional. During this period I was still trying to discover myself as a photographer, trying to find my niche. I would carry my camera everywhere I went and constantly shoot everything I saw. This moment was one of the moments that allowed me to grow as a photographer, and allowed me to discover what my camera could do.
The 99% Last semester I made it a mission to locate one of the Occupy D.C. camp sites, more so the main location in McPherson Square. After progressing past darkroom processing, digital was still a bit foreign to me. I was still struggling with Photoshop and how to use it with digital photography, so I decided to create a a fantasy world in which the Occupiers really took over D.C. I traveled around D.C. for a day shooting, and spent countless hours working in Photoshop to create clean lines, correct exposure, and the most realistic scene one will ever see. Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment